Thursday, March 12, 2009

Shaving Cream!


It's not just for shaving any more! When I taught pre-school many years ago, one of my student's favorite activities was playing in shaving cream on their tables. They loved the feel of it in their fingers. They would smear it around, and draw pictures and letters in it. It also cleaned the tables in my classroom fabulously! It was a great experience had by all. Now, fast-forward some years to my own children... JT, Katie and Dylan. It has been raining and nasty the last few days, so I was looking for an after school activity to do with the kids that was different and didn't involve the television. SHAVING CREAM! It was a great idea... right? Umm... not so much. Katie and Dylan were the first ones at the table. They have both done it before and loved it. They were having a great time squishing it in their fingers, while drawing flowers and shapes in it. They were so cute. I didn't really think JT would have any interest in it at all. I mean he is a pre-teen after all(By the way, I hear this ALL the time). Dylan wanted his big brother to play with him. I though that was just the cutest thing. He LOVES JT! But, this is where things started to go down hill... fast. JT taught them many fun things to do with shaving cream. What, you ask? Great things like... slapping your hands together, and on the table to watch it splatter all over the kitchen. I mean ALL OVER the kitchen. It was on the floor, the walls, the ceiling, the chairs,the counters. Then he showed them that it was great fun to smear it all over their hair and faces(and arms and legs, and bodies). By the time they were finished Dylan looked like Albert Einstein. I think we will do shaving cream while big brother is at school from now on. What kind of damage do you think an eleven year old can do with playdough? Oh I forgot... after I bathed Dylan and cleaned the shaving cream from every crevice of his body, he snuck into the gameroom while I was getting his clothes and proceeded to finger paint with chocolate pudding all over himself. What silly person left chocolate pudding in the gameroom? Oh right, that was me. UGH! On a brighter note, it smelled nice and fresh in the kitchen!

No comments: